Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Gagging On Oscar

                                                               

I've watched the Academy Awards probably twice in the last ten years.  I have a problem watching Hollywood in their narcissistic love fest.  Sadly, having nothing to do last Sunday night, I tuned in.  What a mistake.

I can remember when the stars dressed eloquently, acted like ladies and gentlemen, declined to speak about their politics, and concentrated instead on honoring the art of film.  That's no longer the case.  The Oscars are now the showcase for the liberal propaganda, for promoting alternative lifestyles, and for celebrating the art of "me."

And it's all done in poor taste.  Let's recall a few.  Early in the show we had Neil Patrick Harris speaking of someone who might have to teach their grandma what a "spanking bench" is.....as if that concept was clear to the rest of mainstream America.  I myself had to think a bit before I associated the joke with the "50 Shades of Gray" film.  Sado-Masochism is probably big in Hollywood but I suspect tens of millions didn't get the joke.

Then we had NHP give a nod to the Al Sharpton folks out on the street protesting because Blacks weren't given half the award nominations.  Harris first addressed the audience as "the whitest ever", then, later when walking down the aisle of the audience, scolding them for not nominating the English Black guy for not being nominated for "Best Actor."

And, while I'm sure the nation's gays were all atwitter about Neil Patrick Harris sporting an underwear bulge, I found it to be in poor taste.  In fact, I found most of NHP's performance in poor taste.  There was plenty of egocentric smirks as he laughed at his own poor jokes.  And it was absolutely hilarious when he joked about a woman's dress just as she walked off the stage after having spoken about her son's suicide.  What a hoot!

Speaking of suicide, we now seem to celebrate the weak of heart and weak of character.  I noted huge applause when a gay writer, having won a screenplay award, admitted that he tried to kill himself at 16 cause he realized he had a hankering for males.  That's what we do these days; we sneer at mainstream America and raise on high pedestals those who live their life off center.  

Even idiocy was in full bloom Sunday night.  Rosanna Arquette won for best supporting actress and used her time to rally for equal pay for women.  Her speech was so spirited Meryl Streep jumped up and pumped a delicate fist in the air.  Well, folks, the truth is as I wrote it a couple of weeks ago when poring over the U.S. labor report; more women than men are employed today and, except for highly hazardous jobs, are paid as much, if not more than men.   But, hey, everybody has to have a cause, right?  And it doesn't matter if what they are advocating for, or even if the facts are against them, they've got something to hang their frilly hat on.

And of course we had the Mexican director of "Birdland" championing illegal immigration.  Oddly, he doesn't have a thing to say about why he's not making movies down in Mexico....he just doesn't like what we're doing up here.

Did I miss anything?  I'm sure you'll point it out if I did.

So, after the Oscars I took a glass of bicarbonate of soda to still my nausea and went on to bed.  Maybe I'll tune in to the Oscars again sometime around 2025.  For just now I don't think I could stomach another round of Golden Calf worship.

Post Script:  After this blog was written I read that most of America was really upset that the Hollywood libs snubbed American Sniper.  They also pointed out that Sniper made more money at the box office on the first weekend than the other nine movies nominated during their entire run.

8 comments:

Craig said...

Did any of the extremely wealthy,so called preachers of equality and fairness speak about be-headings,homeless,veterans, or pro-America anything?

A Modest Scribler said...

Nope.

Frank said...

Funny. I don't usually watch the Academy rewards(first time in 20 years), but because I went to see American Sniper(and loved it), I thought I'd tune in to see how it did.Well, some of the fun had already been taken out of it when I had read an article just before that said Sniper had a .4% chance of winning. Neil Patrick Harris was actually good but the jokes they wrote for him were terrible. New writers next year? Enjoyed Lady Gag Gag and saw her in a whole new light. Maybe she's growing up a bit. I have no problem with Gays flaunting because they were in the closet for so long, they're thrilled to be out of it. The Political parts were ok. Just tuned them out. Brings back memories of Marlon Brando and Martin Sheen thumbing their noses at Hollywood.
It'll be another 20 years before I watch again and will be 87. I can't imagine what kind of show they will put on then. Maybe Gays will be back in the closet and Blacks will realize that it's not White America holding them back but their own Steppin Fetcjit lives they chose to live that is.

Unknown said...

If Steven Spielberg had directed "American Sniper" instead of Clint Eastwood, I'm betting it would have walked off with most all the Oscars.

Brian Kalifornia said...

I was to busy to watch that fun filled informational show. I had to watch my painted walls dry.

Frank said...

Or Michael Moore(less), maybe? Then again, it would have made about $50 at the box office...

TheRandyGuy said...

I'm 54, never seen the Oscars. Couldn't care less about watching undereducated, overpaid narcissists pat themselves on the back. In ancient Rome, performers were the lowest members of society, below the plebeian class, less than the morticians or grave diggers. See, not everything about ancient Rome was wrong....

Carol said...

I'm with Brian......watched the paint dry! I couldn't stomach that show. ICK!