Friday, January 10, 2014

"Can You Spare A Little Change?"

                                                             

Okay, folks.  We had our three month membership drive, awarded our prize, garnered 20 additional followers (thanks to many in my sweet family), and failed to meet our goal of a hundred followers.  Not a total defeat but not a victory either……but it certainly doesn't warrant my publishing this blog seven days a week, 52 weeks per year.

So, hereafter, let's call this the blog a frog on a log blog…I'll just be a big old frog and sit up on that big old log, and as something appetizing comes my way, I'll stick my big ole tongue out, nab it, and offer it up for you to digest as well.  

When things are particularly tasty I might feed you seven days in a row, and if not we'll let our field lay fallow… the best crops come from occasionally fallow fields.  I suspect we'll be busy when Obama starts his campaign for the illegal folks…that's always been a deal buster for me..if the law is passed and it resembles anything like what came out of the Senate, I believe we will have finally capitulated as a nation in honoring the rule of law.  Everything henceforth will simply be politics, with principles buried and gone.

I'm not ready to write the obituary for this blog…as of this morning I've written 856 blog essays in three years.  They are available for the public and, who knows, maybe some of those who come along later will choose to sign up so that our following expands and again justifies the seven days a week postings.

But, because I cannot "not write", be assured that there will be enough to satisfy all but those few loyals who opened me up every day to see what I had to say.   Most people don't read these every day…and probably shouldn't.  

And don't forget me over at "The Good News Journal".  When I choose to write about the gentler, kinder things, that is usually where I post it.  I currently have nine lonely followers over there so there is  plenty of room to pull up a bean bag chair and chew on whatever evolves from day to day or week to week.

To folks like Carole, who opens me up every morning and uses my blog as something of a digest to see how the world is turning, thank you, my dear.  

To Ken, whose soul I stir to such an extent that he often writes comments longer than my blog, thank you too.  Your comments are always on target and I sometimes find myself going back and re-reading the blog because you have brought a fresh perspective to the subject.  

To Craig, and Trevor and Brian, thank you as well for coming in first every day and giving me feedback on what I offered that day.  Keep those rifles clean and your shirts packed…you never know when the first shot is fired.

To my brother, John, who reads me every day, and still can't figure out how to register a comment, thanks, bro!  I always know you're there because you've always had my back.

Cousin Ralph, you always give me the warm fuzzes, making what I do seem more important than it is.  Keep pimping for me cuz…you fire off enough links to my blog and maybe someday I'll be "broadway", all in lights at the top of the marquee.

Wally, you touched my heart recently when you wrote to ask how you can link up to the site so that you wouldn't miss a single day while you were out on vacation!  What a stand up guy you are!

To all those silent folks who tune in to me every day, the folks I rarely hear from, thank you as well.  
A few months ago someone named Jilly, apparently a reader, but not a regular commenter, was so moved by my blog on "The Death of Testosterone", was so touched in some way she came forward in the comments with Clap…Clap…Clap!  When I read it I had chills up my arm because she thought I had touched on some essential truth and voiced her appreciation with one repetitive but effective word.

I can't thank everybody by name, or this would go on forever.  Just know that you have all given me far more than I ever gave you.  As I've said before, without your taking the time to email me, or to comment, I would just be talking to an empty room.  

Instead, I've made new friends, learned to consider an issue from a different perspective, been given specific examples in your own lives of the truths I offered.  All of it has been worthwhile.

So, dear readers, this old fat frog is fixin to mosey on out, find myself a nice comfortable log, and wait, just wait to snatch something that passes me by…and I'll be sure and pass it around for everyone to have a chew.

See you again, soon!






12 comments:

Ralpheboy said...

My dear cousin, thanks for all of the articles you have published over the last couple of years. I personally have enjoyed them all. While some I don't agree with 100%, they all bring a need to stop and think about the subject matter. Thinking is a good thing, writing is a good thing.
I look forward to all of your future posts and in a selfish way hope that there are a lot of tasty morsels that pass your way. In the mean time sit there on your log and enjoy the scenery. Happy hunting.

Ralpheboy

HavasuRob said...

Hey just cuz we do not "follow" doesn't mean we aren't reading every day. So don't go away... Havasu Rob

HavasuRob said...

Hey just cuz we do not "follow" doesn't mean we aren't reading every day. So don't go away... Havasu Rob

A Modest Scribler said...

Bob, when I get a hundred folks to sign up as followers I'll be back daily…until then it will be sporadic as events occur. Thanks for your comments.

Anonymous said...


Jr Wojo,

Please help. How does one register as a follower?

A Modest Scribler said...

Jrwojo, over on the left side of the blog you will see little squares with pictures of folks who are following. just sign up as a member, using google or Facebook or twitter, etc…thanks

A Modest Scribler said...

Following a blog shows authors and readers of the blog that you're a fan, and you can keep track of the blogs you follow via your Reading List on the Blogger dashboard.

How do I follow blogs?

There are several ways to follow a blog. One of the easiest ways is to visit a blog that has added the Following widget and click on the "Join this site" button under the "Followers" widget:


After you sign in with your Google Account (or another account if you so choose), you'll then see a popup window with the options to either follow publicly or privately.

Select how you'd like to follow the blog, then click the "Follow this blog" button. If you elected to follow the blog publicly, your profile picture will be displayed on the blog with a link to your Blogger profile or Google+ profile (if you've opted to link your blog to your Google+ profile). When you become a follower of a blog, the blog will also be added to your Reading List on your Blogger dashboard. You can become a follower of any blog or URL (even if the blog doesn't have the Followers widget) by adding the blog to your Reading List on the dashboard.

Carol said...

Up with the sun today. Ran all over the southeast valley. Came home to tackle my soaping orders some time in the afternoon. JUST sat down to read your blog today and whoa! ugh. That's all I can say. ugh. :(

Craig said...

Thank you for the daily inspirational and informative writings.Enjoy your log.I will be eagerly awaiting to see what you pull out of frogdom to blog.See ya soon.

Jilly2 said...

I will still be checking in every day!

A Modest Scribler said...

folks, i'm getting lots of emails asking me how to sign up for my blog as a "follower"…please look on the left side of the blog page…you will see those little squares with pics or pictographs..above them is a blue button that invites you to follow me. Hit that button and follow the directions and join my follower list…I want to see it populated with at least a hundred names before I resume a daily blog. So invite your friends to join.. Thanks.

Ken said...

Your need to stop this, "quitting your blog thing". Your going to have to, as you will be so inundated with angry readers you'll need to find a new desert to hide out in! Although, what you describe your future column to be like, sounds a lot like it was when I first came here. I think you were maintaining more than one blog or maybe just didn't have as much to say as the "ONE" was not in office.

Whatever it was, I enjoyed coming here in a kind of giddy anticipation for a new column. It might be here, it might not, but rest assured, one would show up sooner or later, I could count on that. I find it really hard to believe that you could just quit, you seem to enjoy the writing and the back and forth with your readers WAY TOO much just to drop that pen! It also seems rather obvious that you have developed a growing stable of loyal readers. Mostly one sided conversation but I think that might be because you scare all the liberals away. In a way I rather like that. Living in Kali, I get far to much of the liberal opinion all day long anyway and everywhere I go! YECH!

I do appreciate your very kind compliments here in today's column. You have, on more than a few occasions, touched my heart. I have more than once been caught wiping the tears from my eyes, not to many have done that. You know, me and my bud, John Wayne don't cry pilgrim, at least not so's anyone can see.
This internet stuff is still a bit odd to me. The idea that I have never seen you, nor shook your hand but feel I know you and consider you a valued friend,that is a bit of a new concept to my. By the same token, if I ran into you at that diner you described, I believe we could sit down to a cup of coffee and chat like old friends. You have on more than few occasions answered my e mail queries with long, in depth answers, sharing your vast knowledge on the subject of our country's great history, complete with suggestions for my further research. You spent an obviously good bit of time and I want you to know how much I appreciated that. I have learned a great deal from you in our short association. For all that, I thank you.

Dearel, I thank you for the good friend you have become and I will continue to enjoy your friendship in the future.