Sunday, July 7, 2013
Courage is the willingness to stand up against nearly unsurmountable odds. Washington had it as he crossed the icy Delaware on a long ago Christmas day. Tens of thousands of Americans had it as they debarked from the landing craft and faced murderous German automatic fire on Omaha Beach. John Kennedy wrote of immense political courage in his pulitzer winning book "Profiles In Courage".
Courage today is becoming a rare and precious commodity. As a nation, we delegate the "courage" element to a beleaguered military who are asked to do far more with far less than we have ever asked. As to political courage, I'm sorry to say I see it only in the hearts of the conservatives in the House of Representatives and in the hearts and minds of those maliciously branded as "Tea Baggers".
Which house of Congress has had the courage to produce a budget during the past three years? While the Senate has failed to produce or pass a budget for over 36 months, the House, in keeping with Constitutional mandate, has passed an annual federal budget each year, only to see it die in the Senate. As a result our national debt rating has been downgraded and we are more or less being governed on a "month to month" budget that leaves us another trillion dollars in debt each year.
For those who would defend the Democratic party I would ask these questions:
1) Who among the Democrats have had the courage to state that our tax laws are not fair when the top ten percent of earners pay 70% of all tax revenues while 50% of Americans pay not a dime? The Republicans have!
2) Who among the Democratic party will even discuss in any specific way that federal entitlements, as they exist today, are not sustainable? The Republicans have!
3) Who among the Democratic party will hazard the loss of the Hispanic vote by acknowledging that illegal immigration is morally and legally wrong? The Republicans have!
4) Who among the Democratic party will challenge Blacks to assume personal responsibility for liberating themselves from Food Stamps and a welfare check and taking moral responsibility by condemning ghetto crime, in lieu of blaming "Whitey"? The Republicans have!
5) Who among the Democratic party has the courage to hold up a federal spending pie chart that shows entitlements and interest on our national debt constitute 70% of all federal spending and is not sustainable? I've seen Republicans do it dozens of times! It seems every few years the Democrats gain control of the government, throw a big spending party, then the Republicans have to come in later and pay the bill for the party. Sad.
6) Who among the Obama/Reid/Pelosi regime has had the courage to tell Americans that by 2016 the interest on our national debt will eat up half of all tax revenues! The Republicans have!
7) Who among the Democrats have had the courage to say that women using abortion (many have had abortions as many as five times!) as "birth control" is morally wrong and certainly should not be financed by taxpayer money.
I don't profess to say that all Republicans have acted responsibly. We still have far too many Republicans in Name Only (RINO's) who were part of the spending problem in last decade. But the Republicans do have a good number of courageous politicians who have sounded the alarm over explosive government spending and the ever growing tentacles of big government in every facet of our lives.
For those of you who elect to swallow the kool-aid of "class and economic warfare", who buy the liberal mantra that the rich must pay more than 70% of our bills, that you can implement Obamacare without massive trillion dollar outlays and massive program fraud, and that the federal government can find you a job, good luck.
The American economy has always prospered when Americans, instead of demanding a bigger slice of the pie, opt to grow a bigger pie so that all prosper.