Friday, August 26, 2016

Ridin Into The Sunset

                                                                       

On 17 January, 2016, this blog celebrated five full years of bringing you my takes; on friends, on family, on values, and certainly on politics.  For four of those years I knocked out at least one blog per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year.  (and I'm still amazed how I did that!) Those blogs have generated over a million and a quarter page views.  As my loyal readers know, I cut back on the blogs to three per week; Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

While I'm not putting this blog to rest, I do intend to stop publishing with regularity.  In the future there may be times when I pour out five blogs in a row....then not publish another one for a week or two.  Should you wish to read any future issues you'll need to be a subscriber.  That way, any future blogs will be announced in your email as they are released.

Now, it just may be that some of you "Trumpers" might smile with glee with this announcement.  I hope not; I would hope that we who care about our country can still disagree on how best to save her. Personally, I've enjoyed the fiery kickback I've received in response to my Trump rants....it shows that at least you care about this election.

As to all those many blogs I've written over the last five years, some are better than others, but I've always tried to write from my heart, as honestly as I could.  And, if I may be a little prideful, I believe some of my blogs were well written...some of them glimmered....and spoke as well about the human and societal condition as anyone writing today.

It's been a good ride, dear reader.  I'm grateful that you've allowed me into your world, and I'm grateful that you've sometimes shared a bit of your world with me.

And, again, I'm not saying goodbye.  I'm still firmly in the saddle; still swinging at windmills, still fighting for the future of my country as fiercely as I fought for her during 22 years of military service.

In this election year I doubt very much that my keyboard will remain silent.  I'll still, no doubt, crank out some rant about political hypocrisy, call out some tom foolery here and there....just not with the regularity as I once did.

I once wrote how, upon arriving back home in America after some long military tour overseas, I could literally smell the scent of freedom.  I've kissed her ground many times, so grateful for having been born American, and so proud to have fought for her.  I love this country dearly.  That love has been the source of my strength and commitment toward writing of both her ills and her graces.  

So, in bidding you adieu from this five year crusade, I thank those who have ridden with me; some for the whole journey, some for a part of it.  

May God Bless you all and may God bless America.

8 comments:

Jerry Carlin said...

Well, Friend, you will be missed from this vegetable garden. There aren't too many of us that get up at a reasonable time and far fewer that read the Newspapers! You have pointed me to books that I have bought and ideas that I have, well, thought about! We don't agree on everything but it would be a dull world if we did. You do get the blood flowing in the early hours! I am not a pacifist but could never turn this country into Syria so I still hope for a reasonable solution to our problems. I am truly sorry for what has become of the once Great Republican Party, the Party that destroyed the viscous Democratic Hold on the South, the Party that cared about our environment and created the EPA, the Party that wasn't afraid of China and the Party that broke apart the Soviet Union and destroyed the Berlin Wall. They would never Nominate Reagan today:(
We all know there is a "Back Room" to American Politics where the Powers that be really control things. Corporate America or Reptilian Aliens? Nobody really wants Trump and really, no one wants Hillary. It is not a revolution that will change this, at least not from shooting and bombing. Revolutions almost always end up with a Stalin or Castro.
The Fault in America is us. We did it to ourselves. We don't read, we don't write, libraries are closing, newspapers are folding or going digital and determine what they write by the "clicks" they get. Funny as well as sad: people would kill for what we have and we don't appreciate it.
I like your stories, your hard working Mom, your childhood and what you ate, your neighbors and the little street you live on. I like your wife and even your military adventures. I feel I know you and given the opportunity (I seldom get off this island!) would love to have some tea with you!
I read you every day and have gone back and forth to earlier posts. I sift through the anger parts because anger is what got us Trump and is the most destructive emotion there is. I love the love stuff and there is plenty of that, the American History parts that have become so much of you, the story telling parts, just about all of it.
I will still be looking for you, Jerry Carlin

A Modest Scribler said...

Thanks so much for your kind words, Jerry. And I appreciate that you clearly see that I, as well as everyone else, am more than a cardboard cutout, with personal characteristics that defy "labelling". My writings have always been cathartic...allowing me to express what is in my heart and head at any one time. And I'm not going away for good, just won't post on a schedule any longer. We've had some thought provoking sparring in recent years and I personally have enjoyed them. I still write quite a bit for my Facebook circle, and am still plodding through my writing of a novel. But, of late, I despair of our politics and just can't write about it as much as I used to. Stay cool up there in your garden, friend.

Frank R. Krzesowiak said...

As long as this isn't a permanent good bye, I won't get maudlin over the cutback. I've enjoyed your ranting and raving for about 3 years. We don't always see eye to eye but I wouldn't want that anyway. As far as Trump goes, he's not my first pick, probably not even my 15th pick. But like Ross Perot in 1992, he fits my one requirement. Not a career Politician. A shake up is needed and Hillary is not the person who will shake it up unless you think banning guns and many people getting killed when they try to enforce that ban is a good shake up. Will still be looking forward to your blog even if it's not on a regular basis. You can't help yourself. There will be too much to say, especially in the next 3 months. Don't hold back.

A Modest Scribler said...

Thank you, Frank. Looking forward to hearing from you on some future day. Till then, all God's blessings.

TheRandyGuy said...

"Rarely have so many owed so much to so few"... Perhaps an overstatement, but the sentiment still applies. You wrote from not only from your heart (libs do that exclusively), but also from your head. Your priorities were always clear and consistent: Veterans, the good of the nation, and the Constitution. I hope you don't simply chuck the whole thing and disappear. Your posts usually made me think - a rare occurrence these days (Is that a shot at me? Probably.). Take a break. Don't quit.

Unknown said...

It's been a pleasure reading your blog, even though I haven't had much time the past year to check in consistently, it has always been a space to find motivation. I hope you do something exciting with your extra free time (if there is such a thing when you're retired). I look forward to anything you write in the future.

A Modest Scribler said...

Thanks for the kind words, Randy. Nope, not quitting completely, just not stone cold regular as I did. (I almost posted one today but decided to give you folks a little break too. ;))

A Modest Scribler said...

Thanks much, Trevor. Actually, I AM allotting more free time toward trying to finish a novel. See you around the neighborhood.