Monday, January 23, 2012

Diet Detours; Gain 5 Pounds Fast!

                                                           

Okay, like many, I gained weight over the holidays.  Turkey and mash potatoes, apple pie, pumpkin pie, a pound of See's Peanut Brittle and God knows what else.

So on New Year's Day I made a resolution to lose weight.  I stepped on the scale and saw the results of holiday gluttony.  I'm not going to tell you what my weight was.  Suffice it to say it was a new high for me.  (The photo above is not me but not far off).  Time for change.  I was seriously dreading starting the Atkins diet again.  In 2004 I lost 50 pounds on this diet.  While very successful I have used Atkins so many times....and with so many starts and stops..I was weary of going back to heavy meat meals and no starches or sugars.

So I got on the Internet, did a lot of research on other diets and decided to try two different diets for ten days each.  The first ten days I ate foods that were proscribed by Weight Watchers.  The second ten days I   tried a high fiber diet (oatmeal, beans and such) that is supposedly better for regulating your blood sugar levels and thus stave off hunger.

During  both diets I chose to ignore the weight scales completely.  Under the two diets rapid weight loss is not reasonable nor expected so I ignored weighing myself.  Yesterday came the moment of truth:  I stepped on the scales and found that I had gained 5 pounds!  (Again, I will not tell you my weight now but will announce it 30 days from now, after I again commit to the Atkins diet for 30 days!)

I'm posting all of this on my blog as an adjunct for shaming myself and spurring me on toward my weight goal of losing 20 pounds in 30 days on the Atkins diet.  I'll keep you posted occasionally on recipes I've employed throughout the month.  (My daughter turned me on to an Internet site, "Linda's Low Carb recipes" and it is the best site for advice on adhering to a low carb regimen.

So, it's back to Tuna salad, boiled eggs, baked chicken, broiled fish, ground turkey chili, black soy beans, beef and no sugar or starches.

Wish me luck!  My loss is my gain!

4 comments:

Crystal said...

hahaha! I've never been able to lose weight with Weight Watchers either. Good luck with your diet. I look forward to seeing your results and reading about the different recipes you try!

A Modest Scribler said...

Thanks, babe.

PammieJean said...

I am horrified at the weight I gained after quitting smoking...one year and 4 months ago. Cooped up in the house and not going outside because of all the blizzards last winter didn't help. Now I am on orders from my doctor to find a gym/club, whatever with a heated pool. The heat will help the arthritis and walking in the water will be less stress on the joints. Last week I found a place that is open to the public even though it is in an assisted living community. No one is under 60 years old so I won't feel intimidated by young, lithe bodies. There is some good exercise equipment there too. It'll cost me a little every month, but I think it'll keep me out of the doctor's office.

A Modest Scribler said...

Good for you Pammiejean. When I previously lost 50 pounds I started out just stretching and swimming in the pool, the moved to treadmill and finally the weight machines. It is a good way to phase in your exercise and build strength and endurance gradually. Good luck!