Friday, January 9, 2015

"Dead Man's Switch"

                                                         

Damn it people!  You're gonna have to start checking in with me once in awhile!  If you don't want to make a long comment, just write in your little tag name and say "still kicking!".  Here's the thing; When you come on here and comment, and share a little slice of your life, I start considering you as friends.  So, of course I worry about you when I don't hear from you.  As an example, one of my most loyal readers when this blog began was a nice lady from California named Jo.  Jo visited and commented quite often...and she was a constant reader for the first two years.  Then, all of a sudden, no more comments from Jo.  


Well, what would you think?  Yeah, I was worried about Jo.  Did she have a stroke?  Did she develop Alzheimers and forget me?  Did she die?  I know that, after two years, it wasn't because she didn't like the blog.  So the only conclusion I can draw is that Jo has passed on.  Saddens me greatly, as I lost a friend.

And now, some of you are opting not to comment.  Haven't heard from my buddy Ken in months.  Or Grenada Vet, and several more of you.  So I'm worried!  I always think the worst!  Just the other day one of the old hands finally came on and commented and I breathed a sigh of relief that they were still around, alive and kicking!

So where are you Pammie Jean up in Minnesota?  Trevor, you need to check in more often!  Jilly, you check in just often enough to ward off my worst fears!  Carol and Jerry and Craig and Brian and Frank and all my other ever faithful morning readers are nice enough to check in almost every day....so all you strays!  Check in!  Phone home!  At least once a month!


Several years ago I signed up at a site called Dead Man's Switch.  You sign up with them and every 30 days they send you an email.  If you don't check in with them they declare you dead and forward post humous messages to friends and loved ones...messages that you prepared in advance.  Why don't you yahoos go there and sign up and post a message to me so I know you are indeed pushing up daisies and no longer reading my words of wisdom.  Doesn't cost a damn thing and, when we finally know you're gone, we'll throw a wake or something for you...or I'll eulogize you via this blog!

As it is, I'm left to worry about you people.  You think you can sneak in here and read this stuff and never let me know you're around?  Well, you can...but I wish you wouldn't.  

So, for all you nice people that check in regularly, thank you dearly.  And for you "lurkers", just know that I'll put a curse on you if you keep me worrying about you all the time!  :)

22 comments:

A Colonel of Truth said...

Not dead.

Anonymous said...

Good morning! Go Buckeyes!

Alive in Ohio....

Jilly

Jerry Carlin said...

I think it is only polite to comment and except for the few times when left speechless I almost always do. You are right about that friendship thing, well it is in your name so, of course you are right!

A Modest Scribler said...

Colonel, thank you. I'm proud to be in your company.

A Modest Scribler said...

Jilly....thank you!

A Modest Scribler said...

Jerry, my tomato growing friend, maker of metal, Oregon Duck fan; thank you as well.

Darlene said...

You know I'm around, I would haunt you if I wasn't!

A Modest Scribler said...

Yeah, sis...I got you covered. :)

Wraith said...

I just tend not to comment unless I have something intelligent to say. I'm not Al Sharpton after all...!

A Modest Scribler said...

Okay, Wraith...but just type your tag once in awhile and write 'still kicking'...then know you are.

Ralpheboy said...

Me too Cuz. I read, I enjoy and I share, but don't always have anything intellegent to write. DUH! Is what I'm like many mornings when I read your blog. I do understand where you are coming from though.

Frank said...

We all know the best part of an article or Blog are the comments left afterwards. They are informative, funny and usually written by people who care about today and what's happening. No matter how you feel about the subject, you're opinion is important as well as any additional facts or dispute of facts written in the article you may have. No offense Scrib, but the article should be the catalyst to the melding of ideas. Put your two cents in. You'll love it...

A Modest Scribler said...

Ralphy, I'll make an exception for you...I always know when you're around.

A Modest Scribler said...

Frank, some folks just don't care to comment much, unless I've really struck a nerve. That's okay; I just want them to check in once in a while.

And, of course, I know my blog doesn't provide all the answers, is not even the best of wisdom, so of course I welcome comments....as long as they are not really, really stupid....like reciting a political mantra that says nothing.

Brian Kalifornia said...

Hey Scrib, were not all old like you and Jerry, don't rush us. Still alive and kicking in Sacramento and a daily reader except on weekends (I get caught up on Monday am).

A Modest Scribler said...

Brian, you're good to go....hear from you almost daily. Cool.

jr wojo said...

Still here

A Modest Scribler said...

cool, jr wojo...that's all I needed to know.

Kevin said...

Not Dead; yet.

A Modest Scribler said...

Cool, Kevin. Thanks for logging in.

Unknown said...

Out of jail.

Unknown said...

Sorry to make you worry my friend, I'll do my best to raise my hand more often rather than slouch in the back of the class.