Friday, December 19, 2014

Tis The Season For Angels

                                                     


                                               Tis The Season For Angels                  

As the Christmas season approaches we tend to become more introspective.  We gently peel away the tender layers of the soul in the present to regard the many complex textures of the past.

And since the strongest memories are usually our fondest, we tend to remember the times of love, happiness, togetherness and contentment.  This is especially true during the holiday season when our hearts and minds are attuned in a truly miraculous way, for our souls are able to turn both inward and outward, feel the compelling need to love and cherish the reunion and reaffirmation of family, while becoming more sensitive to the joys or sadness or plight or need of the most casual passerby.

It has often been said that man, at his best, is listening to the voices of his better angels.  I certainly believe that to be true.  Although I struggle with the precepts of organized religion and intellectually joust with the firm and unyielding biblical doctrine, I know with my heart's certainty that God does indeed exist and that Jesus walked this earth and did indeed try to promote the love and understanding so necessary for peace among men to endure.

And so it is so very fitting that we honor the birth of one of our greatest angels.  My belief in angels has  become so forcibly strengthened as one and another of my loved ones have passed to that distant shore.   But each one of them has cared enough to look back at their loved ones left behind to extend a spiritual sign that all is well and this estrangement is but fleeting; that one some unknown day we shall meet again.

Let us celebrate the birth of Jesus and let us be thankful for this opportunity to once again form the family circle; to talk, to argue, to feast, to laugh, to huddle together in the protective and loving arms of "family".

But let us also celebrate and honor our angels who were once a part of our lives; who, whether we note it or not, are continuing to look over our shoulder and strive to protect us and strengthen us against the fiercest of life's storms.  Let us not forget them, in this holiest of seasons...or for all the days of our lives.

As we all navigate life's treacherous waters we should certainly exult in our triumphs and our joys, while recognizing that not all who travel in the fragile vessel of fraternity and family will be there when we reach our final destination.  Some of us will succumb to the currents and be swept away long before the completion of the voyage.  So give an extra hug to mom or dad or grandma or grandpa; it may be your last chance to do so.   Give an extra hug and kiss for your children; ask anyone who has lost a child how dearly would they love to have one last chance to do so.

Let us try to love and honor each other for all the days that remain to us.  And let us celebrate those angels who, even now, stand over our shoulder, touch our hearts and souls and make us better than we might ever be.

After all, Tis The Season of Angels.



4 comments:

Jerry Carlin said...

glad to see the upbeat blogs and, yes, almost 40 years ago my very best childhood friend died on a construction accident and I was there. I have always felt a guardian angel close by ever since. Maybe not guiding me as much as preventing wrong turns and avoiding disaster.
Have a Happy Season and Very Merry Christmas, my friend!

A Modest Scribler said...

Goor morning, Jerry. Glad my blog made your heart lighter. I'm quite sure your friend has been there for you in all your many triumphs and defeats and is even now keeping an eye on you. Merry Christmas to you and yours, Jerry.

jr wojo said...

I read this post on Christmas eve just hours before being by my eldery mother's side as she passed. I shared it with my siblings, we all felt like it was written to console us. It spoke to us so much we used it in the pamphlet handed out at the funeral mass.

A Modest Scribler said...

jr wojo; I don't think I've ever had a better compliment than the one you just gave me. To know my words gave comfort to folks who were grieving is the greatest reward I could ever hope to have.